Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Opera in a Palace

Last night we heard an abbreviated version of La Traviata set in a palace. There were about 75 people in the audience. We sat on simple wooden chairs and were in rooms of a house. Three singers and four musicians provided the entire performance. While Violetta was a little theatrical, she had quite the voice and was very beautiful. Her lover, the tenor, had the best voice I thought.

After the first act, we got up and moved into another room where they sang again. The opera ends with Violetta dying of consumption. It seems to me that many operas take on this theme. The audience gave the performance a standing ovation. I thought that many people had never been to an opera before and that this was a wonderful way to introduce them.

My daughter said that when they went out for a gelatto afterwards, they saw the singers relaxing in the same square.

I don't think you can do this outside of Italy. I have been to the opera all over the world, but never in a setting like this. A good way to see opera. Not intimidating and quite easy to understand.

No comments: