Thursday, May 31, 2007

Scoping out Art Basel

Our first stop after we get some sleep is Basel, Switzerland. We will have to take the train from Zurich (our home base for 4 days). I think it is about an hour away.

Art Basel is the only Art Fair we are going to. It runs for only a few days so I expect it will be very crowded with lookers and buyers. We will need to get tickets and I want to do that before I leave home.

Art Basel takes place in two halls in the Swiss Exhibition Center. Hall 1 was constructed in 1999 by a Swiss architect and art collector Theo Hotz. I believe it is constructed out of glass. Hall 2 was constructed in the 1950s by Hans Hoffmann. Art from 300 galleries will be on display. Maybe one of us will come home with something new.

A new idea this year will be a curated project between two artists. Supposedly there are 16 of these. There will also be 25 one-person shows by young artists. I am most interested in this.

One of our first stops I hope will be to see the "Untitled Concert" developed by Rirkrit Tiravanija from Thailand. I can't really tell what it is, but time is June 11 at 7pm. After I hear it I'll make some more comments.

Be sure to stop in daily for our updates.

No comments: